Mayfield surrenders in Caldwell

Flanked by his attorney David Freedman and Hudson Police Chief Andy Day, former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield arrived at the Caldwell County Magistrate’s Office on Thursday afternoon to surrender on four charges of felony larceny.

Before entering the building, Mayfield said he was pleading not guilty to the charges.

“I did not do this,” Mayfield said. “I’m a little surprised by this.

It’s all tied in to what’s going on in Catawba County."

Mayfield was charged by Hudson Police after a year-long investigation.

According to Day, Mayfield was seen about 3 a.m. on Feb. 26, 2011, sleeping in the cab of a tractor-trailer with another individual.

Mayfield told the Hudson police officer, who was on routine patrol, that he was returning from Tennessee and had stopped to rest.

Later that night, the owner of the property, Dan Anderson, reported four trailers were missing. The property, located at 2698 Hickory Blvd., was home to the former Anderson Truck Lines.

Police later discovered about 70 pieces of furniture were missing from the trailers.

Authorities searched Mayfield’s home on Hudson Chapel Road in Catawba on Nov. 16, using a search warrant granted to the Hudson Police Department, and seized furniture valued at $15,000, including a Broyhill sofa and love seat, and other furniture. About 12 pieces were recovered, Day said.

Mayfield, 42, was indicted by a Caldwell County Grand Jury on Monday on four counts of felony larceny. He was indicted in Catawba County seven days earlier on three counts of possession of stolen goods and one count of obstruction of justice.

In relation to his Catawba County charges, Mayfield turned himself in Feb. 21 at the Catawba County Detention Center. He was released after posting a $25,000 unsecured bond.

Mayfield also was indicted in November after Catawba County Sheriff’s Office deputies found about 1.5 grams of methamphetamine inside his residence while serving a search warrant for suspected stolen property.

Officers recovered more than $100,000 in equipment stolen from Lincoln and Iredell counties during the search, but no charges have been filed in those cases.

Mayfield was released Thursday after posting a $100,000 secured bond.

Despite the mounting legal troubles, Mayfield remained upbeat Thursday.

“We’re doing good; we’re holding up,” he said. “I have great attorneys, and we’re being as cooperative as we can.”

Mayfield is next scheduled to appear in Catawba County court March 5 on his meth possession charges.