Frigid temperatures and fresh snow greeted 2012 in the North Carolina mountains. While the ski resorts don’t encourage folks to call in to work sick, skiing conditions are excellent. Heed the frostbite warnings, though.
Here’s a look at three ski resorts.
Appalachian Ski Mountain
At a glance: 27 acres of skiable terrain with 12 slopes and trails (three beginner, three intermediate, three advanced, three freestyle terrain areas www.appterrainpark.com ). Peak elevation: 4,000 feet. Vertical drop: 365 feet. Longest run: 2,640 feet. Lifts includes a double, a triple and a quad. Resort also features a Zamboni-maintained ice rink.
As of Wednesday,
Jan 4, 7 a.m.
• Snow conditions: Groomed
• Base Depth: 40-60 inches
• Snowmaking last night: Yes
• Snowmaking before last night: Yes
• Projected Snowmaking: Ongoing and again Wednesday night.
• New natural snow: Yes
• Ice skating open: Yes
• Slopes: 7 of 12 open
• Lifts: 5 of 6 open.
Beech Mountain Resort
At a glance: 95 acres of skiable terrain with 15 slopes and trails (three beginner, six intermediate, four advanced and two freestyle terrain areas). Peak elevation: 5,506 feet. Vertical drop: 830 feet. Longest run: one mile. Lifts include five doubles, a quad and a high-speed quad with a panoramic vista. Also includes a village ice rink and the Beech Mountain Adaptive Snowsports Center for kids and adults with disabilities.
• Lifts: Four of seven open:
• Trails: 5 of 15
• Base depth: 18-38 inches
• New snow: 2 inches
• Snowmaking: On
Sugar Mountain Resort
At a glance: 115 acres of skiable area with 20 slopes and trails (seven beginner, nine intermediate, three advanced and one freestyle terrain area). Peak elevation: 5,300 feet. Vertical drop: 1,200 feet. Longest run: 1.5 miles. Lifts include four doubles, one triple. Includes a 700-foot, multilane tube run; ice skating; guided snowshoe tour; and public racing program.
• Snowmaking in progress
• Snowfall within the last 24 hours: Five inches and snowing
• Snowfall from the last storm: Five inches
• Average snow depth: 14-50 inches
• Surface conditions: Manmade powder and frozen granular
• Lifts open: 5 of 9
• Slopes open: 11 of 20
• Snowmaking: On
• Ice skating: Open
• Appalachian Ski Mtn, 940 Ski Mountain Road, Blowing Rock.
828- 295-7828/800-322-2373. www.appskimtn.com .
• Beech Mountain Resort, Beech Mountain Parkway, Beech Mountain.
828-387-2011/800-438-2093. www.beechmountainresort.com 
• Sugar Mountain Resort, 1009 Sugar Mountain Drive, Banner Elk,.828-898-4521/800-SUGAR-MT. www.skisugar.com 
Visit www.visitnc.com .