While the end of December often cools the Catawba Valley, the action gets hot on the hardwood.
The 25th annual Catawba Valley Classic tipped off Tuesday at Catawba Valley Community College and Hickory High School. Complete details on wins by Newton-Conover girls and results from the rest of the games are available in the Wednesday print edition of The O-N-E.
Visit www.observernewsonline.com  to find out playoff pairings for Wednesday.
Be sure to follow The O-N-E on Twitter @TheONENews for scoring updates throughout the Catawba Valley Classic. You can also follow the game blog in The O-N-E online edition, www.observernewsonline.com .
While boys and girls hoopsters pull the trigger on the basketball court, Catawba County’s municipalities aren’t so quick on the draw when it comes to gun laws for parks and recreational facilities. Find out what area cities are doing in the wake of a new state law that allows permitted guns in public places. Details only in The O-N-E’s Wednesday print edition.
Also featured in Wednesday’s edition of The O-N-E:
• A Newton resident has pulled double duty - with careers in agriculture and the U.S. military - and now Rick Reid is receiving a special salute as he retires. Read his story in The O-N-E.
• Sears and K-Mart closures are looming. Will that impact the Catawba Valley? The O-N-E has the latest economic news for the retail giants.
• “Big Edd” Sigmon died unexpectedly during the Christmas weekend. Details of his life and funeral arrangements are included in Wednesday’s obituaries.
• Catawba Valley Wildlife Club and Carolina West Wireless are supporting Greater Hickory Cooperative Ministries.
• A busy beginning is planned for the Catawba County Library system’s 2012 calendar of events. More details and schedules in The O-N-E. Also don’t miss the “Things to Do” calendar on the Your News page.
• The Jackson Group is growing. Details in Business.
ª See pictures of Newton-Conover’s Lady Red Devils in action.
• Eastern Catawba Cooperative Christian Ministry Executive Director Rev. Bob Silber shares “A Pastor’s Voice” on the Perspectives page.
• Who’s in the Photo of the Week? Find out: http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/photo-week-7 .
• Vote in The O-N-E poll, and share your opinion on the top news stories of 2011, www.observernewsonline.com 
• North Koreans wail and moan at Kim’s funeral. See the video with the AP online video network available at The O-N-E’s home page.
Pick up a copy of The O-N-E for the Kids Page, obituaries, classifieds and community news. Be sure to visit www.observernewsonline.com  for updates as news breaks throughout the day, and follow us on Twitter @TheONENews.