Thieves take pennies from Catawba store
Thieves stole 950 pennies Monday night from a convenience store in Catawba.
Police say unidentified suspects broke into the Bunker Hill Exxon in Catawba and stole $9.50 worth of pennies. The thieves did not steal anything else, according to a Catawba County Sheriff’s Office incident report.
The crooks cut a telephone line, damaged an alarm box and broke an exterior glass window for the $10 heist.
The incident is under further investigation, according to the report.
Other incidents reported in Catawba County include:
• Breaking and entering/larceny; 949 Russell Ridge Drive in Catawba; Suspects broke into victim’s vehicles and stole a full five-gallon gasoline container, 155-piece set of mechanics tools, portable watch, fireman’s red LED dashboard light and a cigarette butt; Total stolen value: $520.
• Larceny; Mountain View Gas House at 3162 North N.C. 127 in Hickory; Suspects left without paying for two cartons of cigarettes and one Wood Forest National Bank Debit Card; Total stolen value: $94.40.
• Breaking and entering/larceny; 3411 Spencer Road in Conover; Suspects stole one Gateway laptop valued at $250.
• Burglary/larceny; 6708 Harwell Road in Catawba; Suspects broke into a residence and stole a $900 riding lawn mower, $100 wheel barrel, $1,200 fishing racks and $1,000 in various wood building materials.
• Breaking and entering/larceny; 6852 Goose Point Drive in Denver; Suspects broke off locks to storage bins and stole four “bait-cast fishing reels,” four “spinning fishing reels,” three casting rods, four spinning rods, one fly rod, miscellaneous fishing lures and lock assemblies. Total stolen value: $1,643.89.