Skip to main content

Small fire no match

March 11, 2013

A small neighborhood crowd gathered to watch the Newton Fire Department quickly control an apartment fire Friday, March 8, at 115 East Thirteenth Street.

The occupants were cooking and accidentally started a fire that damaged the kitchen cabinets, the wall and the ceiling according to fire officials.

Newton Fire units were dispatched at 4:51 p.m. and arrived within three minutes according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.

“We have estimated the fire caused about $10,000 in structural damage and $4,500 in contents,” Yoder said.

To read more of this story, pick up the Tuesday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.
 

After spending nearly a week in Oklahoma, the Catawba Valley Community College baseball team's run...
Below is a look at Friday's American Legion Baseball scores involving teams from Catawba County:...
Below is a look at Tuesday's American Legion baseball scores involving teams from Catawba County:...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes