Skip to main content

Small fire no match

March 11, 2013

A small neighborhood crowd gathered to watch the Newton Fire Department quickly control an apartment fire Friday, March 8, at 115 East Thirteenth Street.

The occupants were cooking and accidentally started a fire that damaged the kitchen cabinets, the wall and the ceiling according to fire officials.

Newton Fire units were dispatched at 4:51 p.m. and arrived within three minutes according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.

“We have estimated the fire caused about $10,000 in structural damage and $4,500 in contents,” Yoder said.

To read more of this story, pick up the Tuesday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.
 

On a St. Stephens swim team with several family ties, the Cherkez sisters help to provide a rock...
Following a week-long journey in Spartanburg, S.C., Josh Ramseur and Tyrell Fleming returned to...
Below is a look at Monday's prep sports scores involving Catawba County teams: Girls basketball...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes