Small fire no match

A small neighborhood crowd gathered to watch the Newton Fire Department quickly control an apartment fire Friday, March 8, at 115 East Thirteenth Street.

The occupants were cooking and accidentally started a fire that damaged the kitchen cabinets, the wall and the ceiling according to fire officials.

Newton Fire units were dispatched at 4:51 p.m. and arrived within three minutes according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.

“We have estimated the fire caused about $10,000 in structural damage and $4,500 in contents,” Yoder said.

To read more of this story, pick up the Tuesday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.