Skip to main content

READER POLL: County amendment action appropriate?

April 19, 2012

Catawba County commissioners adopted a resolution this week to support the state's proposed constitutional marriage amendment.

The amendment — which states that the only legally recognized union in North Carolina is marriage between one man and one woman —is on the state's primary election ballot this spring.

Commissioners voted 3-2 to approve the resolution in support of the amendment.

A group of 32 citizens spoke during a public forum before the vote. Some urged county leaders to vote down the amendment. Some told commissioners the board should not involve itself in such a matter. Others supported the move.

What do you think?

Did county leaders react appropriately? If yes, did they make the right move by adopting the resolution?

Vote now in The O-N-E's latest reader poll at observernewsonline.com. Visit observernewsonline.com every Friday morning for a new reader poll. Pick up the weekend print edition of The O-N-E for final results of the previous week's poll.

Comments

re

April 23, 2012 by luckyspunky3, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1096

I am disappointed that yet another board, yet alone my own, has passed another resolution. People have a mind of their own and the commissioners have a vote of their own at the ballot box. This is a bad decision, though not unexpected, on their part. I find myself drawn to the two candidates that voted against this. Believe me, I'd never thought I'd say that. However it is nice to see illustrated that not all conservatives or Republicans can get behind the agenda that the state legislature is pushing. It really shows that you don't have to be afraid to get outside of one's comfort zone and stand up for what is right, or wrong in this case. And particular props to Kitty Barnes for saying she doesn’t need to vote on a resolution to uphold her moral and Christian beliefs. Maybe its time for all to think like this instead of forcing one's own beliefs onto others.

So you are not ok with those

April 24, 2012 by tmac, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1097

So you are not ok with those 3 that voted for the resolution because they voted their inclination and have their own vote but you are ok that Kitty Barnes makes her decision own how she feels about the resolution. I see it differently, I see the 3 commissioners voted the will of the majority of the citizens of Catawba County and the 2 reflect those who were against the resolution. Seems to me there was representation for all of whom they represent. I think it is far greater that we have seen elected officials consider the will of the people rather than cower when being threatened by actions and false guilt trips from prominent members of the community if they pass it. In this country we elect officials to represent us not dictate to us. So, I do know about you, I knew how I was going to vote on the Marriage Amendment before the vote on the resolution and I would have not felt compelled to vote any differently if they had not past it. I have a mind of my own and make my decisions based on my beliefs and morals. The vote on the resolution did nothing to force anyone to do anything. We can still vote the way we wish no matter what anyone says or does, it is a free country after all, so far. We were given a republic, if we can keep it, thank you Ben F. .

The Minority Bolds Large When The Majority Is Silent

April 23, 2012 by tmac, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1094

Our Commissioners took a stand and now it is time for us as citizens to take a stand. There are a few that make squeaky sounds in society and therefore attract considerable attention for the irritating noise they make. Just think about the old saying the "squeaky wheel gets the oil". That comes from the days of the horse drawn wagons with 4 wheels, 3 aren't making any noise but one is, thus it is the squeaky one that gets the oil. Our Catawba County Commissioners, three of them for and 2 against, took a stand for the citizens they represent and I am very proud to call them friends. They functioned exactly as our founders intended. I understand the confusion of some citizens that do not believe our elected official should take a stand on anything since it is rarely seen today. Evidently the conception some have is that the voter elected officials in this county are only to represent buildings, vehicles, money etc, not citizens. I felt so proud, we had citizens come out in numbers from both sides of the issue whom all had a chance to voice their opinions. Then to see the commissioners working the decision making process was great.
The squeaky wheels are making noise in the local publications, they are the dissatisfied citizens who's will was not expressed by the decision made that night. It is a common thing, we all go fight for something we believe in, then after we win we are happy and we go home. Who doesn't like the comfort of home after a fight and a big win. But those who fought and lost are still not happy and still willing to fight for their cause or may just be happy to cause a little destruction. We cannot just walk off the field and leave them to take the brunt of the slings, arrows and darts for a decision they made for us when what they deserve are praise. We need to take a stand for our commissioners, if you do not take a stand for them and the next time comes that you want them to take a stand for you, and they don't, don't even wonder why. We the majority need to make of voices heard. Tony V McDaniel

Resolution

April 22, 2012 by hhoyt, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1091

I strongly agree with the Commioners who voted in favor of the resolutiion of the Marriage Amendment. I will suggest that the two who voted against the amendment did it for personal gain, one because her family has a business where a showroom for Mitchell Gold and the other who has a family member who works for a company that is owned by a homosexual.
The three who voted for the amendment did the "will of the majority," took a moral stand and decided it was time for them to lead. If more spoke out in the 60's when Madeline O'Hare fought to have prayer removed from our schools, which was really a silent moment for prayer we would not be facing issues like we are facing today with a society who cannot speak out for what is right as opposed to what is wrong. I give a big thumbs up to our courageous commissioner, Barbara Beatty, Randy Isenhour and Dan Hunsucker. Thank you for decided leading was more important than being popular.

If you say the three did the

April 23, 2012 by luckyspunky3, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1095

If you say the three did the will of the majority how can you go back and say the others did what is popular?

Cliques

April 24, 2012 by tmac, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1098

I am sure she meant popular as in being in a small clique of popular people JW.

Resolution

April 20, 2012 by waltf01, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1090

I truly think that the County Commissioners can involve themselves in the resolution on a personal level, but for them to vote and in effect say they represent MY philosophy and thinking is a travesty of logic. I have never met any of the Commissioners and for any of them to presume to speak for ME is a usurpation of my right to be heard.

The Travesty Is Not Knowing Your Elected Officials

April 23, 2012 by tmac, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1093

The resolution to support the Marriage amendment was posted well in advance of the April 16th meeting. The schedules and agendas are posted and accessible to everyone. Part of being a citizen is keeping up with what your government is doing. Everyone should know who their local officials are and what actions they may be possibly be undertaking. Our government was never intended to be run on autopilot. It was intended to be manned and monitored at all times by its citizens, we as citizens are the government. Everyone that had an opinion about the marriage amendment could have spoken on the issue. When a person does not participate and monitor what a government is doing they cannot say they are not speaking for me because they are speaking for you due to you silence. When you do not add you voice to the position you hold you will be considered in the majority. People took time from their families and many made special arrangement for child care and such to be there at the meeting to be sure their thoughts were known. If you do not participate by knowing who you elected officials are, attending public hearings, participating in your parties events, OR VOTE, guess what, whether you like it or not they speak for you. Citizenship has responsibilities. Tony V McDaniel

NC Marriage Amendment

April 20, 2012 by kmcdaniel, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1089

A vote FOR the NC Marriage Amendment is what it will take to support a marriage as being defined between one man and one woman. It is sad that the opposition has to deceive people by telling them such things as this will harm children, harm families, harm unmarried women, and harm unmarried seniors. This amendment will have no effect whatsoever on these people. It will keep things how they currently are. This is not an amendment to hurt anyone but to protect those who value a God ordained commitment. Please vote FOR the marriage amendment!!!!!!!

marriage amendment

April 22, 2012 by hhoyt, 2 years 34 weeks ago
Comment: 1092

I totally agree with you. Sad to say, the ones that voted against it decided it is better to be with the popular vote than be with the morality of what this means. The way I feel...you take a stand against God, God will not stand with you.
It is not about discriminationas we are being lied to by the opposition, it is about marriage and what marriage is, between one man, one woman.

Below is a look at Friday's prep sports scores involving Catawba County teams: Girls basketball...
The Greater Hickory Kia Classic golf tournament won't be returning for a 13th year on the Champions...
Below is a look at Tuesday's prep sports scores involving Catawba County teams: Girls basketball...

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes