The O-N-E Morning Read: Tuesday, March 13
A fatal wreck early Tuesday morning closed I-40 eastbound between Rock Barn Road and Claremont. The interstate remains closed, and Oxford Street is closed until a safety inspection is completed on a bridge an out-of-control transfer truck hit.
The O-N-E was first to deliver details and pictures from the wreck in our online edition. Get updated details online as they become available: www.observernewsonline.com/content/driver-dies-fiery-i-40-crash.
Get breaking news online at www.observernewsonline.com and follow us on Twitter @TheONENews.
Have you completed your NCAA bracket? Pick up the Tuesday edition of The O-N-E for a blank bracket, fill it out and turn it back in by Thursday morning - you could win $$$.
Investigators say a fire that destroyed a Sherrills Ford restaurant nine months ago was set intentionally. Accelerants were used in the blaze that destroyed Pier 150 in June, and authorities have no suspects in the crime.
Building permits confirm for more green technology at the Apple Inc. complex in Maiden. Details in The O-N-E.
Can you conquer the Big Willy Challenge at Cindy’s Starlite Cafe? Find out how The O-N-E fared when tested by the 2-pound burger.
• Newton-Conover defeated Maiden on the links Monday.
• Find out the penalties levied against University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill’s football team.
• Trudie Martin recently celebrated her 110th birthday. See her picture alongside friends in the Tuesday print edition of The O-N-E.
• The O-N-E Sports editor Cody Dalton offers his tips for completing your NCAA bracket. Also see PERSPECTIVES for details on why the state’s GOP lawmakers are perturbed with Gov. Bev Perdue.
Lenoir-Rhyne softball players earn conference honors.
• Get updates on the traffic situation on I-40 near Claremont where a fatal collision impacted the morning commute Tuesday: www.observernewsonline.com/content/driver-dies-fiery-i-40-crash.
• The Charlotte Bobcats collected a win over the former “home team”: www.observernewsonline.com/content/bobcats-hold-beat-hornets-73-71.