The O-N-E Morning Read: Tuesday, Feb. 7
Maiden Town Council appointed a new town resident to fill a vacant seat on the elected body.
Details from Maiden leaders’ Monday night meeting only in Tuesday’s print and online editions of The O-N-E.
In Newton, city leaders are investing about $24,000 for improvements to its compost facility after a citation from state inspectors. The decision opposes staff recommendations to close the facility and begin depositing leaves and brush in the county landfill.
A one-time candidate for Catawba County’s district attorney’s office appeared in court on Monday, but his case was delayed. Find out more details about Shawn Clark’s legal battle in The O-N-E.
Neighboring cities Conover and Claremont are looking for ways to work together in hopes of sharing costs and services to better serve citizens.
• Newton-Conover High School is looking for a new athletic director after Ericia Turner announced her plans to leave for the Alamance-Burlington Schools system.
• Red Devil wrestlers are preparing for a state title run as duals competition begins today. Details in The O-N-E and online: http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/red-devils-gear-another-dual-run.
• A Bandys High swimmer three-peats as conference champion.
• Are your plans set for the week: Find out what is going on in Catawba County with the “Things to do Calendar” : http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/catawba-countys-week-ahead-14.
• The O-N-E delivers the week’s sports schedule, which features action in basketball and wrestling: www.observernewsonline.com/content/catawba-county-sports-week-4.
• Judges move the state forward with newly drawn legislative district. Primaries set to go in May, although a court battle over new lines may be ongoing.
• Hickory Public Library is commemorating Black History Month with a play based on Harriet Tubman.
• Catawba Valley Community College is celebrating Black History Month with an event Feb. 28.
• See the complete list of winners from the Catawba County Schools Science Fair.
• Who won The O-N-E’s Super Bowl picks contest? Find out on the Sports page.