The O-N-E Morning Read: Tuesday, April 10
Nobody was injured in a late night shooting outside a Latino nightclub in Newton early Sunday morning, but there was a victim — a traveling taco truck outside Club Seniorial. Police say this isn’t the first time club has been the site of a skirmish.
A Maiden woman running from police sought shelter down Getaway Lane, but her hiding place inside a mobile home bathroom didn’t fool the fuzz. They caught her now she’s facing charges of trafficking cocaine and opium, child abuse and selling drugs near a park.
Republicans are on top of the effectiveness rankings released by a non-partisan think tank, but you won’t find Catawba County’s lawmakers in the list’s places of power. Details on the rankings for N.C. Sen. Austin Allran, and N.C. Reps. Mark Hilton and Mitchell Setzer are inside Tuesday’s edition of The O-N-E.
Catawba County ranks in the top third of North Carolina for overall health, but that grade has declined since last year.
• The Catawba County Easter Baseball Classics led-off yesterday, and all six Catawba County teams were in action, but there won’t be a three-peat tournament champion. Bunker Hill lost to West Caldwell.
• Maiden defeated St. Stephens in Easter Classic action.
• N.C. State standout is C.J. Leslie says he will decide this week whether he will go pro next season.
• Catawba County Horse Bowl team captured the state’s top awards.
• Former Catawba County resident and owner of Wild Coyote Grill in Conover was killed in a Florida car wreck during the weekend.
• Find out more about historic Hart Square without traveling to Vale with an upcoming library program.
• Get a round-up of the news of the week delivered right to your computer, iPod, iTunes, or mobile device with The O-N-E shot, a quick snapshot of the community's news and sports: http://themesh.tv/one-shot/.
• Where are your favorite high school teams playing during the week ahead? Find out with the prep sports schedule: http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/catawba-county-sports-schedule-6.
• Hickory Crawdads improve to 4-1 with Monday night win: www.observernewsonline.com/content/crawdads-improve-4-1-win-over-drive-0.
• Claremont plans art events: www.observernewsonline.com/content/claremont-arts-events-planned.
• Which Catawba County high school football team with a new coach will win the most games during the 2012 season? Vote in The O-N-E online poll.