The O-N-E Morning Read: Thursday, May 17
Conover plans to pass along a water rate increase to city customers. For the average water consumer, budget proposal will mean a $3 increase annually.
Maiden and Claremont plan to absorb the water rate increase issued by the city of Hickory.
More details from Conover’s proposed budget are in the Thursday edition of The O-N-E.
N.C. Highway Patrol reports that an NCDOT truck caused a three-car wreck on I-40 near Claremont on Wednesday.
Newton business owner Sharon Rashidi received the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutriotion’s Community Leadership award. Read more about the achievement for The Perfect Workout owner in The O-N-E.
The city of Hickory is also proposing fee hikes.
• St. Stephens’ Lady Indians advanced in the N.C. 3A state championship tournament with a 3-0 shutout of Asheville. They’ll face Hickory on Saturday at St. Stephens.
• Maiden’s Zack Huffman commits to play tennis at Pfeiffer.
• Hickory American legion Post 48 announces baseball schedule for the summer ahead.
• Catawba County seeks sustainable food sources.
• North Carolina’s chamber of commerce wants state lawmakers to reduce unemployment benefits.
• Newton City Council member blasts Catawba County’s sheriff for decision to withdraw from gang initiative.