The O-N-E Morning Read: Thursday, March 22
Science lessons at Maiden Elementary delivered space to students during “Mars Madness” this week. Get more details and see pictures of students space adventure in the Thursday edition of The O-N-E.
Senior citizens are playing volleyball and staying active in other ways during Seniors Morning Out.
Volunteers and supplies are sought for “Operation Stand Down” to benefit homeless military veterans. Find out how to help in The O-N-E.
Thieves broke into a convenience store in Catawba and made off with a heavy haul - 950 pennies, but nothing more. See complete crime reports for Catawba County in The O-N-E.
• St. Stephens beats Foard. Foard beats St. Stephens. Find out which wins came wear for the lady athletes.
• Bandys racked up a 20-0 win over West Caldwell as the Trojans’ freshman pitcher Kathleen Reardon collects a no-hitter, allows just one walk.
• Lenoir-Rhyne golfer Meghan (Jolly) Pritchett inducted into South Atlantic Conference Hall of Fame.
•The team from South Newton Elementary wins the district Battle of the Books.
•The John Hoyle Chapter of the DAR salutes artwork created by Catawba County students.
• Pick up The O-N-E to get an official entry for the Easter Coloring contest. Entries are due by April2 and winners will receive Easter baskets just in time for the holiday.
• In PERSPECTIVES long-time educator and Newton native Joe Hester reflects on "the green shed" challenges we face in life. U.S. House District 10 challenger Ken Fortenberry says U.S. Rep. patrick McHenry supported sub-prime mortgage industry that helped spur economic recession.
•Get high school sports scores in tennis, soccer and softball in Prep Notebook: www.observernewsonline.com/content/prep-notebook-tigers-stay-perfect-bla....
• UNC point guard Kendall Marshall is out of his cast following surgery, but will he play again in the NCAA tourney? www.observernewsonline.com/content/uncs-marshall-out-cast-after-wrist-su....
• The O-N-E readers think classroom experience and people skills are the most important traits Catawba County Schools leaders should seek in a new superintendent. What do you think? Vote in The O-N-E online poll.