The O-N-E Morning Read: Thursday, April 26
Catawba Valley Community College was evacuated after a "perceived threat" to safety at the school, while at Lenoir-Rhyne University a chemical bomb exploded in a dorm room.
More details on these stories are available in the Thursday edition of The Observer News Enterprise.
The long-time "Phantom of the Opera" removes his mask exclusively for The O-N-E, in advance of Franc D'Ambrosio's Saturday night performance at Newton-Conover Auditorium.
A car collided with a Conover restaurant, but The Untouchables is still open for business, and the vehicle's driver was not seriously hurt.
• Newton-Conover High School's leaders have narrowed their football coaching search to seven people. They hope to have a recommendation for Newton-Conover City Schools Board of Education the May 7 meeting.
• Eight players advance in the Catawba Valley Athletic Conference tennis tournament.
• Newton-Conover's Lee Mitchell is bound for Appalachian State to play golf.
• Debate continues over a proposed constitutional amendment that would specific marriage between one man and one woman. North Carolina's top law enforcement opposes the amendment. Letter writers share their opinion on the PERSPECTIVES page, including one man who argues the measure would add discrimination to the state constitution.
• Area rabies clinics will help protect area pets.
• The Catawba Valley Ladies of Harley helped raise money for Meals on Wheels. Read their story and see the picture in The O-N-E.
• Foster teens receive free books.
• The U.S. Senate voted delay closures of U.S. Post office facilities: http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/senate-votes-delay-postal-clos....
• Maiden gets extra inning win in baseball, St. Stephens edges Newton-Conover. more details in Prep Notebook: http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/prep-notebook-indians-edge-red....
• The O-N-E was first to deliver news about an evacuation at CVCC on Tuesday. To get breaking news throughout the day, follow us on Twitter @TheONENews, or find us on Facebook.