- Special Sections
Ex-NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield says the four felony charges against him are not true and plans to fight the allegations in court.
Mayfield, 42, of Catawba, turned himself in at the Catawba County Detention Center on Tuesday afternoon after being indicted on possession of stolen goods and obstruction of justice charges a day before.
He was released after posting a $25,000 unsecured bond and was given a first appearance court date for Friday, according to a Catawba County arrest report.
Mayfield addressed the media briefly after handling his charges with a Catawba County magistrate. He maintains his innocence.
â€śItâ€™s not true. Iâ€™m definitely fighting it,â€ť he said. â€śWeâ€™re cooperating and doing everything we can and everything theyâ€™re asking for us."
Mayfield was indicted on three counts of possession of stolen goods and one count of obstruction of justice on Monday for incidents that occurred from Nov. 16, 2010, to Nov. 16, 2011.
He is charged with allegedly possessing several thousand dollars worth of property belonging to Fitz Holdings L.L.C., DEA Ventures Inc., and Red Bull Racing Inc.
The indictment for obtaining property by false pretense also alleges that Mayfield sold a stolen metal surface plate to Smith, Setzer and Sons Inc. for $1,200.
This is the second time Mayfield has been indicted in less than four months.
He was originally indicted in November 2011 after Catawba County sheriff's deputies found about 1.5 grams of methamphetamine inside his residence Nov. 1, while serving a search warrant for suspected stolen property.
Officers also recovered more than $100,000 in equipment stolen from Lincoln and Iredell counties during the search, but no charges have been filed in relation to those allegations.
Potential additional charges related to the stolen equipment would be handled by the appropriate district, District 25 Attorney Jay Gaither said this week.
Authorities searched Mayfieldâ€™s home again on Nov. 16, 2011, using a search warrant issued by the Hudson Police Department and seized about $5,000-$10,000 in furniture.
Mayfield, who was banned from NASCAR in 2009 after failing a random drug test, was in the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond last month to argue that his lawsuit seeking reinstatement as a NASCAR driver should be heard by the courts.
Mayfield released a statement through his attorneys on Tuesday that alludes to a conspiracy between NASCAR and Catawba County authorities.
â€śFor some reason, the district attorney's office simply ignored our offers to explain the sources of the items seized from my property and chose, instead, to indict,â€ť Mayfield said, according to the statement.
â€śWe do not know if there is any connection between the NASCAR lawsuit and this investigation but, based upon the evidence disclosed to us already by the district attorney's office, it appears that the Catawba County authorities have been coordinating with NASCAR officials.â€ť
Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid declined to comment or reply to the statement. The district attorneyâ€™s office also declined to comment.
Outside the detention center on Tuesday, Mayfield also addressed his fans.
â€śIâ€™m OK. Weâ€™ve been OK. Weâ€™re trying to move on with our lives and get through all this stuff and weâ€™re just taking it one day at a time," he said.
After everything â€śsettles down,â€ť Mayfield said he does plan to get back into racing one way or another.
â€śIâ€™m not going to quit racing, for sure,â€ť he said.