Skip to main content

Discarded cigarette causes house fire

March 7, 2013

Newton fire officials determined the cause of a Wednesday morning house fire at 5 South Ervin Avenue was due to a discarded cigarette.

The homeowner noticed smoke coming from a rear room of the house and called 911, according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.

“She carried out most of the burning material to the front porch,” Yoder said.

To read more of this story, pick up the Friday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.

Grabbing an early lead and holding off a late charge by rival Hickory, the Fred T. Foard baseball...
Below is a look at the 24th Annual Catawba County Easter Baseball Classic results: Monday's opening...
Below is the schedule for the 24th Annual Catawba County Easter Baseball Classic: 24th Catawba...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes