Skip to main content

Discarded cigarette causes house fire

March 7, 2013

Newton fire officials determined the cause of a Wednesday morning house fire at 5 South Ervin Avenue was due to a discarded cigarette.

The homeowner noticed smoke coming from a rear room of the house and called 911, according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.

“She carried out most of the burning material to the front porch,” Yoder said.

To read more of this story, pick up the Friday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.

Below is a look at Monday's prep sports schedule and postponements involving Catawba County teams:...
BRISTOL, Tenn. — After four rain delays and 11 extra laps, Matt Kenseth finally drove to victory...
Having never raced at Bristol Motor Speedway, Sherrills Ford resident Jesse Little made his mark at...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes