Skip to main content

Discarded cigarette causes house fire

March 7, 2013

Newton fire officials determined the cause of a Wednesday morning house fire at 5 South Ervin Avenue was due to a discarded cigarette.

The homeowner noticed smoke coming from a rear room of the house and called 911, according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.

“She carried out most of the burning material to the front porch,” Yoder said.

To read more of this story, pick up the Friday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.

Maiden hadn’t made many mistakes in its first three football games this season. Game No. 4 Friday...
With a 24-6 lead at halftime, the St. Stephens football team appeared heading for its second win of...
Below is a look at prep football scores from Catawba County, as well as across the state: Catawba...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes