Skip to main content

Discarded cigarette causes house fire

March 7, 2013

Newton fire officials determined the cause of a Wednesday morning house fire at 5 South Ervin Avenue was due to a discarded cigarette.

The homeowner noticed smoke coming from a rear room of the house and called 911, according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.

“She carried out most of the burning material to the front porch,” Yoder said.

To read more of this story, pick up the Friday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.

Twenty years since the first-ever Brickyard 400, Conover native Dale Jarrett reflected this week on...
Through the trails of being an undrafted rookie, Brian Roberts hard work paid off on Wednesday. The...
Madi Story went out a winner Monday night during the North Carolina Coaches Association East-West...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes