Conover assault case continued
The man accused of assaulting a handicapped person during a Conover City Council meeting earlier this year appeared in court on Wednesday.
Ken Herman, 71, of Conover, is charged with assault on a handicapped person after allegedly slapping a Conover man in the back of the head prior to a city council meeting in February.
Herman’s case was continued on Wednesday until June 29, according to information provided by the district attorney’s office.
Police arrested Herman on Feb. 10, four days after allegedly assaulting Coy Hester at Conover’s Feb. 6 council meeting.
Hester, a Conover citizen who suffers from Fibromyalgia and a rare blood disease, says Herman struck him in the back of the head prior to the start of the meeting. He says Herman continued to verbally harass him after the assault.
Hester was taken to the hospital and subsequently released. He later filed charges with a Catawba County magistrate, and Herman was arrested and released on bond.
Police say there were multiple witnesses to the alleged assault.
However, several council members reported not seeing the assault and Conover Police Chief Steve Brewer, who was standing behind where the incident took place, also said he did not see what happened.