Candle starts house fire in Newton
The Newton Fire Department responded Wednesday to a house fire at 119 West G street at 2:55 p.m.
The units arrived to find the single story residence filled with smoke and the occupants all accounted for outside.
The resident, Rose Lawing, was across the street visiting her mother when the fire broke out according to fire officials. She had been alerted by a neighbor who saw the smoke and went to look for her.
To read more of this story, pick up the Friday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.