- Special Sections
Newton Fire Department responded to a gas leak on Wednesday morning on North Ashe Avenue in Newton.
Several roads were closed, including 21st through 26 Street and Northwest Boulevard through Main Street.
Workers and residents were evacuated from the area for about an hour while crews worked to close off the gas line and secure the area.
To read more of this story, pick up the Thursday edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.