- Special Sections
Newton firefighter Randy Matthews, assigned to Newton Fire Department Engine One in the downtown station, had a busy Friday morning. The department responded to a report of strong gas fumes at an apartment complex at 222 Park Lane just before 10 a.m.
Three engines, a ladder truck, and two support vehicles responded when a maintenance person noticed a strong odor coming from one of the apartments.
Upon investigation by the fire department it was determined to be motorcycle parts being cleaned with gasoline.
Matthews second event of the day started when Sean Russell of Denver was clearing brush with a Ford tractor in a field at 1545 N.C. 16 south.
To read more of this story, pick up the weekend print edition of Catawba County's community newspaper, The Observer News Enterprise, at newsstands throughout the county.