Accused killer jailed

The man accused of murdering a Hickory taxicab driver Tuesday night is in the Catawba County Jail with no bond.

Police charged Camyron Fredrick Johnson, 22, with one count of murder in the death of Adam Williams, a Yellow Cab Company taxi driver who was killed Tuesday night outside a LongHorn Steakhouse off U.S. 70 in Hickory.

After issuing a murder warrant for Johnson on Wednesday, Hickory Police received a phone tip that the suspect was in Charlotte. He was later apprehended by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department and transported back to Hickory, where he was interviewed and charged with murder, officers said.

Hickory police is still investigating the homicide, and officials said there could be more possible arrests.

Williams, 32, of Hickory, was murdered Tuesday night after responding to a fare near the LongHorn Steakhouse parking lot.

At about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, Williams picked up one rider outside Longhorn headed for Tate Boulevard and 15th Street NE, said Ron Stephens, Yellow Cab Company manager. The rider wanted to change their destination to Hildebran, and Williams called it in. That was last thing communication Yellow Cab heard from him.

At 10:35 p.m., police were called to LongHorn after employees said Williams was trying to enter the then-closed restaurant, bleeding profusely from lacerations to the face and neck areas. When authorities arrived, Williams had collapsed and was unconscious, according to Hickory Police Department officials.

Williams was transported to Frye Regional Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead, police said.

At the scene Tuesday, authorities found an unsecured Yellow Cab taxi backed onto the sidewalk of the former Fuddrucker’s restaurant next to Longhorn.

Stephens said a Yellow Cab dispatcher tried to contact Williams two minutes after his last call-in, but said there was no response. He added that each car has a two-way radio, but said Williams did not try to call them during the incident. 

“Last we heard he had picked up and was headed to Dominos Pizza in Hildebran,” Stephens said. “The next thing we know, the police called and said they had him and something was wrong with him. At about 1:30 a.m. (Wednesday) morning, the doctor came out and told me and his mother he had passed away.”

Williams worked for Yellow Cab for about three to four months and preferred to work the nightshift, Stephens said.

“He was one of the nicer drivers we got,” Stephens said. “We usually get complaints with new drivers in the first few weeks, but I never got a complaint with him.”