A Superior Court judge mandated Tuesday that 11 search warrants relating to the Zahra Baker case be unsealed.
The warrants were previously sealed to the public and media outlets, claiming that, "the release of the information contained in the search warrant would jeopardize the right of the state to prosecute a defendant or defendants, or jeopardize the right of a defendant or defendants to receive a fair trial or undermine an ongoing or future investigation."
Recently unsealed court documents reveal grisly details about Zahra Baker's final days.
The documents, which were unsealed Tuesday, contain detailed information about Zahra's life leading up to her death and how her body was disposed.
The Newton-Conover Red Devils accomplished something no other Catawba County team has in the past five years. They defeated the Hickory Red Tornadoes in a girls basketball game. It is Hickoryâ€™s first loss to a Catawba County team since 2005.
â€śObviously this is a huge game for both teams,â€ť Newton-Conover head coach Jonathan Tharpe said. â€śBoth teams are two of the best in the western part of the state in 2A and 3A. Itâ€™s just a big rivalry and just a lot of passion to win the game on both sides.â€ť
Catawba County Superior Court Judge Nathan Poovey on Tuesday allowed access to search warrants related to a murder investigation that started when 10-year-old Zahra Baker was reported missing on Oct. 9.
The 11 warrants, totaling more than 100 pages, reveal Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, responded deceptively during a police polygraph test, and she detailed how the young cancer survivor was dismembered inside a Hickory house.
Drum Funeral Home announced Tuesday that Zahra's family will hold a private memorial service.
The Hickory girl was reported missing Oct. 9, and police in Hickory announced Nov. 12 that they believed they had enough evidence to show that the Australian native was in fact deceased.
Visitors may stop by the funeral home to sign a register book and view a memorial tribute to Zahra from 5-7 p.m. Thursday and 1-4 p.m. Friday.
Agnes Patricia “Pat” Cleary Vaughn, 85, of Newton, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010, at her residence surrounded by her loving family and friends.
Tamarah “Tammy” Lynn Cunningham Paul, 43, of Hickory, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2010, at Palliative CareCenter and Hospice of Catawba Valley.
Catawba County is one of 16 counties in North Carolina under a tornado watch. The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg issued the watch, which expires at 10 p.m.
Other counties affected by the watch are: Alexander, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Cleveland, Davie, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, McDowell, Mecklenburg, Polk, Rowan, Rutherford and Union.
A Newton-Conover Red Devil is jumping from Gurley Stadium to Bank of America Stadium. Lineman Mike Comer is one of 10 high school athletes from the Carolinas on the field at halftime Dec. 19 as part of the Carolina Panthers Community Captain Program.
â€śThis means a lot,â€ť Comer said. â€śOnly 10 people out of North and South Carolina get the award. So, itâ€™s a pretty big deal.â€ť
The Community Captain program honors high school athletes with dedication to their sport as well as commit to improving their education while showing potential to excel.
The sign on the front of the store reads "Charlie's Gym," but it's actually Alan's gym now.
Alan Robbins, of Maiden, is the new owner of Charlie's Gym in downtown Newton.
Robbins is no stranger to the facility. He started coming to the facility as a client, and now he owns the business.
"I've always liked working out," Robbins said. "When I saw the facility was available, I thought it would be a great opportunity."
Palliative CareCenter and Hospice of Catawba Valley will soon have a new facility to accommodate its growing need for services in Catawba County and beyond.
Construction on PCHCV's new Sherrills Ford location started in August, and is expected to be completed about 12 months after ground was broken.
Clark Isaac, of Isaac Construction Company, said the facility is on time and scheduled to open Aug. 1.
Isaac said several subcontractors are working on the 28-acre piece of land, with about 10-15 people on site at all times.