August 16th, 2011
Jo Ann Venable Thomas, 59 of Dalena Drive, Claremont died Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011at her residence, The Thomas family has entrusted arrangements to Jenkins Funeral Home & Cremation Service in Newton
When Margaret Moose opened Studio 258 three weeks ago, a couple of guys showed up wanting to be the first people tattooed in Newton â€“ legally, that is.
A tattoo artist and painter, Moose was generally amused by the gentlemenâ€™s effort, but had to tell them they were too late and would have to settle for being the second people tattooed in the city.
A tire exploded in a manâ€™s face Monday in the parking of Penske Truck Rental in Conover.
Conover Police say Johnny Henson Bryon, 63, of Conover, was putting air in the tire of a hand truck on Monday when it blew up. Fragments of the wheel came back and hit him in the face, causing damage to his facial and throat area, said Steve Brewer, Conover Police chief.
Bryson was transported to the hospital and was discharged as of press time Wednesday, according to a Catawba Valley Medical Center operator.
After an opening score by the Catawba County Hornets, it all went downhill from there.
The visiting High Point Ravens scored 20 unanswered points and yielded no points in the second half on their way to a victory over the Hornets.
Catawba County (3-2) took the opening drive of the game 48 yards, leading to a score. Former Maiden product Tommy Henry scored on a six-yard run to make it a 6-0 game after a missed two-point conversion.
Before the end of the first quarter, the Ravens tied up the game on a 30-yard pass from Mike Johnston to Eric Gibbs.
Kay Phyllis Shull Parkhurst, 68, of Hildebran passed away Friday, Aug. 12, 2011 at Frye Regional Medical Center in Hickory. Burke Mortuary in Newton is serving the Parkhurst family.
Peggy Lou Preslar Spencer of Hickory passed away on Aug. 12, 2011 at Palliative CareCenter and Hospice of Catawba Valley. The Spencer family has entrusted funeral arrangements to Drum Funeral Home & Cremation Services, 940 29th Ave. NE, Hickory, NC (828.267.5740).
Catawba County leaders say a newly opened biodiesel research facility will attract more business to the area, save money on fuel and reduce the areaâ€™s carbon footprint. State leaders call it a â€śmodel for the future.â€ť
â€¨But the largest attribute of the facility may be the collaboration between big groups â€“ something federal, state and local leaders all agree is necessary for positive change.
â€¨â€¨â€¨Austin Frye says drug abuse in high school has changed.
â€¨A rising junior at Newton-Conover High School, Frye said teens are going beyond â€śsmoking potâ€ť and are experimenting with drugs found in nearly every household â€“ prescription medications.
â€¨â€śI have all these friends at high school doing these pills,â€ť Frye said.
â€śThere are a lot of drugs and a lot of pills. They are smoking cigarettes and trying prescription drugs.â€ť
One worker was taken to the hospital on Monday after a machine caught on fire in a Newton manufacturing facility.
Fire officials say a dotting machine caught on fire on the third floor of Carolina Specialty Fabrics in Newton, and one employee was taken to the hospital after inhaling too much smoke. A dotting machine is used to put traction material on fabrics used for gloves, said Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.
The lights of high school football glistening at Newton-Conoverâ€™s Gurley Stadium for the FCA Jamboree on Friday.
The Jamboree featured two games, including two Catawba County teams in action. St. Stephens took on North Lincoln in the opening game, followed by Newton-Conover taking on Hibriten.
Featured at the event were two 15-minute periods, two 10-minute periods and one 40-minute continuous scrimmage period between each of the two teams.
Marguerite Collins Mitchell, 95, of Abernethy Laurels, Newton, passed away Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011. The Mitchell family has entrusted funeral arrangements to Drum Funeral Home & Cremation Services in Conover.
Clayton Larry Mooneyham, 62 of Hickory passed away Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011 at his residence. Bass-Smith Funeral Home is serving the family of Clayton Larry Mooneyham.