A man accused of murdering a 19-year-old Travis Baker more than four years ago will spend at least 12 years in jail after pleading guilty to second-degree murder charges.
Baker disappeared in April 2007, and his family spent two years wondering about the fate of the Catawba teen before his body was found in a lumber pile in June 2009. The O-N-E has the complete story of Bakerâ€™s death and disappearance, as well as Tuesday afternoonâ€™s reaction from his grieving family.
See more details in the Wednesday print edition of The O-N-E and online at www.observernewsonline.com.
The Fred T. Foard boys basketball teamâ€™s resurgence continued Tuesday.
The Tigers scored 24 fourth quarter points, including eight each from Tre Robinson and Kasey Simms, carrying them past Bunker Hill at home, 54-43.
The victory improves Foard, which won three games last season, to 5-0.
The two teams were deadlocked for a majority of the contest. The Bears (0-4) held a 21-19 lead at the halftime break.
That all changed with 7:13 remaining in the game. A three-point play opportunity by Robinson gave the Tigers a lead they did not let go.
St. Stephens 70, Maiden 60
St. Stephens improved to 3-2 with a victory over Maiden in Hickory on Tuesday.
The Indians trailed 41-40 entering the fourth quarter, but scored 30 points in the final stanza to record the victory.
Kerigan Farley scored 24 points off of the bench for St. Stephens, while the Indians shot 21-for-23 from the free throw line.
Jason Gantt scored 17 points for Maiden (1-2), while Will Jenkins pitched in 10 points.
Maiden 31, St. Stephens 22
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) â€” Denver Holmes knocked down outside shots and provided Evansville with some scoring punch against fourth-ranked North Carolina. The problem was that no one else followed his lead.
While Holmes scored 14 points in the 97-48 loss to the Tar Heels on Tuesday night, no other player reached double figures for the Purple Aces. The rest of the team struggled to knock down shots, particularly from 3-point range, that could have helped negate North Carolina's big size advantage.
This photo of Catawba Fire Department Chief Donald Robinson is The O-N-E news photo of the week.
Catawba and other area fire departments burned an abandoned house in the community Nov. 30 in a training exercise.
For more photos from the fire training, visit The O-N-E's Facebook page.
The O-N-E posts a photo of the week each Wednesday. To suggest a photo or a story idea, e-mail email@example.com.
Catawba County Schools Superintendent Glenn Barger will retire at the end of the school year â€” again.
Barger previously retired as superintendent in 2000 after holding the post for 10 years. He rejoined the county system as interim superintendent Oct. 1, 2010, and assumed the full-time position in late February of this year.
"I told the school board Monday night I plan to go back into retirement at the beginning of this school year, effective July 1," Barger said.
Frederick George Lampe Sr., 86, of Conover, died Monday, Dec. 5, 2011.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Drum Funeral Home & Cremations in Conover.
The man who killed a 19-year-old Catawba teenager in 2007 will spend at least 12 years in prison.
John Lee Mitchell pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the April 2007 death of Travis Baker and two other charges on Tuesday in Catawba County court. He will serve a maximum sentence of up to 15 years in prison.
The Travis Baker case, which began as a missing person case in 2007, turned into a homicide investigation after his bullet-riddled skull and other remains were found under a lumber pile off Eulalia Lane near Catawba in June 2009.
Dewayne Baker stood up in Catawba County Courtroom No. 2 on Tuesday and faced his sonâ€™s murderer.
Holding two sheets of notebook paper scribbled with red ink, he locked eyes with John Lee Mitchell, the 48-year-old man who shot his son, Travis, to death more than four years ago.
â€śMr. Mitchell, I stand here today to speak for someone that canâ€™t,â€ť Baker said, continuing to speak about his sonâ€™s loving personality as a brother, uncle, grandson and father. â€śYou shot our son to deathâ€¦Our life will never be the same.â€ť
In the wake of N.C. Rep. Mark Hilton's decision to not seek re-election, one would-be candidate has stepped forward to try to fill his seat representing the state's 96th House District.
In a Tuesday afternoon email to The O-N-E, the Hickory Metro real estate developer Andy Wells announced his decision to seek Hilton's seat. The seat for North Carolina's 96th district is up for election in November 2012, and filing begins in February. That district includes much of western Catawba County, including Conover, Mountain View, but it does not include Hickory.