Archive - News Article
September 15th, 2010
Ridership on Greenway Public Transportation decreased since fiscal year 2008-09, but the organization is set to spend more than $5 million on facility improvements.
The new facilities, which include maintenance and office buildings, will save the organization $700,000 in the long run, said Ed Clifford, Greenway executive director.
A homeless woman was struck by a car early Wednesday morning.
According to Hickory Police Department, Josephine Colwell, 35, was lying on First Street SW near 10th Avenue in Hickory about 5 a.m. Witnesses said the homeless woman was passed out on the street before she was struck by a 1997 GMC Suburban driven by Johnny Chapman Jr., 49, of Hickory.
The Pierre Foods facility expansion in Claremont is nearly complete.
The 45,000-square-foot cold storage facility expansion is in operation and should be completed in the next few weeks, said construction project manager Andrew Vachon.
Work on the expansion started in April and came with the company’s announcement that Pierre Foods will bring more than 500 jobs and $16.8 million in investments to the area over a three-year period.
The facility was issued a temporary certificate of occupancy and is on schedule for completion.
North Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal crash Wednesday that left one man dead.
Carlos Alberto Hernandez, 42, of Hickory, died Tuesday when his vehicle crashed on Kool Park Road in Hickory.
Hernandez was driving north on Kool Park Road about 4:45 p.m. when he crossed the center line and hit an oncoming vehicle traveling in the opposite direction.
He then struck some mailboxes on the side of the road and crossed the center line again, striking a second vehicle.
Bunker Hill lineman Nick Isenhour, pictured with assistant coach Tate Campbell, is this weekâs winner of the Golden Helmet Award presented by Coca-Cola. Isenhour made key blocks on offense in the Bearsâ five-touchdown game Friday at Fred T. Foard, and he also made eight tackles and two sacks. Bunker Hill is 4-0 for the first time since 1999 and has a bye this week.
Dreams for a newly renovated fire department and town hall in Catawba went up in smoke Monday.
Catawba Town Council voted unanimously Monday night to postpone its town hall and fire department construction projects indefinitely.
âI think weâve all determined that we canât afford to do this project without a tax increase, and no one wants that,â said Catawba Mayor Vance Readling. âThe only way we have to pay for it is the taxes; thatâs all weâve got.â
Hundreds of people received a free, Southern breakfast on the go Tuesday.
Midstate Mills in Newton celebrated the companyâs first Southern Biscuit Day on Tuesday with free biscuits in downtown Newton.
âWe were brainstorming one day, and we said, âHey, wouldnât it be great to have a biscuit day in Newton?ââ said Steve Arndt, Midstate Mills vice president and chief sales/marketing officer.
Midstate Mills employees and volunteers gave away more than 500 free biscuits by 10 a.m., just three hours after the distribution started.
Summer is almost over, but Amanda Burkeâs grandchildren havenât spent much time outdoors.
Burke said mosquitoes, rats, snakes and other pests from an unmaintained lot beside her fatherâs house on 110 N. Fourth Ave. in Maiden prevent her family from going outside and enjoying the warm weather.
âIf it would have been kept up, it wouldnât have gotten this bad,â Burke said.
Burkeâs grandchildren, ages 4, 2 and 6 months, come back inside with numerous mosquito bites every time they go outside.
Three men accused of first-degree rape and other charges had their cases continued in court last week.
Eddy Fernando Barrios-Ortiz, Milion Estuardo Barrios-Ortiz and Carlos Andreas Corenza Zeledon, all of Hickory, are charged with first-degree rape, robbery with a firearm, kidnapping and first-degree sexual assault stemming from an incident that occurred in January.
They were scheduled to appear in Catawba County Superior Criminal Court last week.
The Barrios-Ortiz brothersâ cases were continued to Oct. 4, and Zeledonâs case was continued to Dec. 6.
Good research is key in preventing scams from phony locksmiths.
Less than one month after a network of phony locksmiths were banned from practicing business in North Carolina, area officials are encouraging residents to be on the lookout for similar scams.
A group of unlicensed locksmith companies used bait-and switch-tactics to scam customers across the state, according to an Aug. 31 press release from North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooperâs office.