Archive - News Article
July 12th, 2011
Officials approved a Catawba County development plan Monday that will build upon plans and initiatives more than 15 years in the works.
Catawba County Commissioners approved the 321 Eco-Tech Development Plan on Monday, taking another large step in making some of the projectâs long-range goals a reality.
A hearing for Adam Baker about charges unrelated to the Zahra Baker case was continued Tuesday until Sept. 6.
Adamâs attorney, Mark Killian, would not comment as to why the case was continued, but said Adam wants to remain in the area to see that justice is provided in Zahraâs case.
âI think he wants to stay here and see it finished,â Killian said, adding that he does not think Adam will leave the country even if his charges were dropped.
Killian said Adam has been seeking support from family members and friends to cope with the ordeal of losing his daughter.
Grammar was a hot topic for the Catawba Town Council on Monday as the board discussed the grammatical correctness on a historical marker they want to display by the Veterans Day Parade on Nov. 12.
The sign will read, âDepot built here at siding on Western North Carolina Railroad, 1859; village organized as Catawba Station, 1872; market center for locally produced tobacco and flour; incorporated as Town of Catawba in 1893; base for building nearby Lookout Shoals Dam in 1914.â
The short statements and incomplete sentences made some council members uneasy.
The attorney for Elisa Baker wants a venue change for his clientâs court proceedings. He said a change of locations is the only way that the woman accused of second-degree murder in her stepdaughterâs death can receive a fair trial.
"There exists in the county so great a prejudice against the defendant that she cannot obtain a fair and impartial trial,â according to the motion filed by Baker's attorney Scott Reilly.
Two cars collided Monday at the intersection of Rock Barn Road and Thornburg Drive in Conover after a red Cadillac attempted to make a left turn and was struck by a gold Toyota, witnesses said.
No one was seriously injured in the collision, but the driver of the red Cadillac was taken to the hospital. Witnesses said the crash caused both vehicles to lift off the ground.
Police are investigating robbery cases in Hickory where suspects held multiple victims at gunpoint to steal cash and cell phones.
The robberies occurred Friday and Saturday and both involve suspects pointing guns at victims and demanding money and cellular phones.
Authorities say that two victims were robbed at gunpoint early Friday within minutes of each other. The robberies occurred on the 300 and 400 blocks of Seconnd Street Place SE in succession. The victims said the suspect was wearing black clothing and a âScreamâ mask, adding that the robber wielded a black and silver gun.
Police are searching for multiple suspects who broke into a Catawba convenience store last week and took money, beer and candy from the storeâs shelves.
Authorities and business owners said suspects broke the back glass door to Abbyâs Restaurant and Convenience Store in Catawba early Thursday morning before unlawfully entering the building. Once the thieves were inside, they stole money from the cash register, two 40-ounce Natural Ice beers and a case of Reeseâs Peanut Butter Cups.
The town of Catawbaâs newest police chief said he plans on upholding the townâs reputation as a âfairly quietâ place to live.
The Catawba Town Council officially swore in police chief Mike Nash on Monday to serve more than 750 citizens that live in the town.
Nash, a Chicago native, has served with Catawba Police Department since September 2004. In August 2010, Nash was briefly promoted to sergeant before becoming the interim police chief after former chief Cecil Cook left a month later.
Area citizens are remembering a âfamily restaurantâ Monday that has served Conover residents for decades.
Drumâs Restaurant in Conover was destroyed by a fire early Saturday morning after an electrical surge protector initially sparked a blaze inside the historic city landmark, fire officials told Drumâs owner Douglas Travis.
The restaurant was built in 1972.
âIt had a little, cozy, family atmosphere,â said Conover resident Joyce Rice, adding that she ate at Drumâs two or three times a week.
âEverything about the restaurant was good â it was amazing.â
Drum's Restaurant in Conover was destroyed by a fire early Saturday morning.
The fire was first reported at 1:19 a.m. Saturday, and the Conover Fire Department was dispatched to the downtown Conover restaurant by 1:30 a.m. for a working fire, said Drum's owner Douglas Travis, Jr.
Travis said no one was in the building when the fire was reported. He said he had no idea how the fire started.
The SBI Arson Team, Conover Fire Department and Conover Police Department were all investigating the fire Saturday.