Archive - Mar 2013 - News Article
Newton fire officials determined the cause of a Wednesday morning house fire at 5 South Ervin Avenue was due to a discarded cigarette.
The homeowner noticed smoke coming from a rear room of the house and called 911, according to Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder.
â€śShe carried out most of the burning material to the front porch,â€ť Yoder said.
Two people led authorities on a high-speed, 30 mile pursuit that ended with damage to four Sheriff's Office vehicles and created two additional wrecks all while a child was present in the vehicle.
The “highly anticipated” Marie and Twannette’s Bakery and Café, 31 N. College Ave., held a ribbon cutting ceremony Friday to celebrate its upcoming grand opening.
Eric Farr with the Office of District Attorney James Gaither was given the 2012 North Carolina MADD Underage Drinking Prevention Hero award on Friday Feb. 22, by Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
In celebration of Dr. Seuss’ birthday, Newton-Conover Rotary Club members traveled to South Newton Elementary School Friday, March 1 to share the beloved author’s books. Members began reading at 9 a.m. to classes full of students from pre-kindergarten to 2nd grade.
Hickory resident, Amanda Webb Killian, 30, is back in Catawba County jail after charges of Second Degree Trespassing.
A small boat slipped off its trailer Thursday afternoon, when the driver caught a curb while turning onto Northwest Boulevard from a business. Newton Fire and Police officials and the driver picked up the aluminum boat and placed it on back on the trailer. Traffic was congested for less than 30 minutes on Northwest Boulevard.