Archive - Apr 24, 2012 - News Article
One of the nationâ€™s prominent activists against underage drinking is urging law enforcement to take an â€śaggressive stanceâ€ť on the issue.
Ron Bogle, a former local attorney and state judge, said he admits heâ€™s got a bad attitude about alcohol. However, he said his real pet peeve is underage drinking.
Residents and businesses in Newton experienced power outages for the second straight day - but on Tuesday, problems didn't last long.
The city's customer service department began receiving complaints about a disruption in power service along
17th, 18th and 19th streets about 3:50 p.m.
City officials initially believed the power outage was linked to wind.
President Barack Obama told thousands of students at the University of North Carolina on Tuesday that he wants Congress to keep the costs of a college education in check, reaching out to young people in a state expected to figure heavily in his re-election bid.
Police are investigating a large-scale copper theft at an abandoned manufacturing building in Conover.
Police say thieves stole more than $35,000 in copper cable from an empty building at 405 Wortha Herman Road SW in Conover within the past two weeks.
The building once housed a pillow manufacturer, but has been unoccupied for quite some time, said Conover Police Sgt. J.S. Barkley.
Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is scheduled to visit Conover on Thursday.
Gingrich's campaign website reports he will speak at a Catawba County Republican Party breakfast from 8-9 a.m. at Sidewalk Cafe on Conover Boulevard.
A house blaze displaced a family of four early Tuesday morning in Newton.
Residents discovered a fire on the back porch of their home at 537 W. 12th St. shortly after 12:30 a.m.
"The fire was extending into the house," said Newton Fire Department Chief Kevin Yoder.
The Catawba County Sheriff's Office reported the following arrests.
April 22 arrests
* Gracie Nicole Simon, 29, of Conover, was arrested on charges of simple physical assault. She was held on a $5,000 unsecured bond.
Two people and a dog escaped an explosion and fire early Tuesday at a home just south of Claremont.
Firefighters said they believe an electrical failure sparked the fire in the utility room beside the carport of a home at 3601 Bethany Church Road. The fire destroyed the home, and an investigation continues.
Firefighters believe three cats did not make it out of the home alive.