Archive - Feb 7, 2012 - News Article
This photo of Bruce Prestwood, right, and Shirley Harvey at The Corner Table is The O-N-E's news photo of the week.
The volunteers served food Jan. 31 during a 10th anniversary celebration at the crisis assistance ministry in Newton.
Visit observernewsonline.com every Wednesday for a new photo of the week. To suggest photos of the week or submit news tips, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Larry Evans died in December in the lobby of the West Wilkes High School gym.
The experience changed his life.
Evans, 67, of Conover, was revived thanks to several students, their parents and school staff members.
â€śThere are some really, really nice people up there,â€ť Evans said. â€śI think if it had happened anywhere else, I wouldnâ€™t be here. The Lord had everything in place.â€ť
Paige Tart, Evans' daughter, shared the following story of what happened Friday, Dec. 16, the day her father's heart stopped beating.
Conover plans to offer citizens a new place to enjoy fresh fall air this year.
Officials expect the city's new Conover Station Park to be completed by fall, opening opportunities for walking along trails, enjoying a playground and taking in the area's newest outdoor recreation site.
Along with a $7,900 city investment, nearly $750,000 in N.C. Clean Water Management Trust Fund and Parks and Recreation Trust Fund grant money is funding the project.
Local health officials say washing your hands with soap and water is the most effective way to avoid norovirus, the â€śstomach bugâ€ť that has affected citizens across Catawba County and the state.
There have been multiple outbreak reports throughout North Carolina in the past month, including more than 130 Catawba County residents who contracted the virus at a Conover seafood restaurant.
There have been eight reports of norovirus outbreaks across the state in the past month â€” including outbreaks in the Charlotte area, Alamance County and Orange County.
Two gas leaks within 24 hours in Conover forced several residential evacuations and road closures.
First responders and gas crews responded to leaks Monday night and Tuesday afternoon near the main entrance to the Rock Barn Golf and Spa in Conover.
Fire officials say both leaks started when utility crews cut a gas line while installing new equipment for AT&T.
â€śThey were doing some underground boring and ran into it,â€ť said Claremont Fire Chief Gary Sigmon. â€śWhen youâ€™re digging, that can happen.â€ť
Maiden Town Council appointed a new town resident to fill a vacant seat on the elected body.
Details from Maiden leadersâ€™ Monday night meeting only in Tuesdayâ€™s print and online editions of The O-N-E.
In Newton, city leaders are investing about $24,000 for improvements to its compost facility after a citation from state inspectors. The decision opposes staff recommendations to close the facility and begin depositing leaves and brush in the county landfill.