Archive - Aug 2011 - News Article
Arie Taylor was in elementary school the first time she tried her hand at painting. She was a fourth-grader at Banoak School in rural Catawba County and was immediately enthralled by the simple fun of making a blank canvas glow.
â€śI thought it was fun; every single thing about it was fun,â€ť Taylor said.
Growing up in the 1920s and 1930s, art supplies were hard to come by, and Taylor said her newly found passion was shortly put on hold due to a lack of available supplies.
â€śThere was nowhere around here then that sold art supplies,â€ť Taylor said.
Area municipal governments are saying a proposed rate increase by Duke Energy would be â€śunpalatableâ€ť during tough economic times.
Duke Energy Carolinas provides power to many residents in Catawba County, and the company is asking the N.C. Utilities Commission for about a 15 percent average increase in electricity rates.
The city of Conover passed a resolution Monday that voices opposition to a proposed electricity rate increase by Duke Energy, which provides to city residents, as well as the city itself.
WASHINGTON â€” The Senate emphatically passed emergency legislation Tuesday to avoid a first-ever government default, rushing the legislation to President Barack Obama for his signature just hours before the deadline. The vote was 74-26.
Obama signed the bill little more than an hour later.
Elisa Bakerâ€™s jury will not be from Catawba County, but it is still unclear where her trials will be held.
Superior Court Judge Timothy Kincaid granted a change of venue request Monday that was submitted by Elisaâ€™s attorney, Scott Reilly, last month.
The Bunker Hill Covered Bridge has been plagued with vandalism in recent years, but a national grant should help officials better protect the historic Catawba County landmark.
The countyâ€™s historical association will receive about $179,425 from the National Covered Bridge Preservation Program to enhance security at the bridge located in Claremont. The historical association must match the grant with up to $43,000 in locally raised funds, said Melinda Herzog, executive director of the Catawba County Historical Association.
Newton leaders are going back to "Lovers' Lane," and they may break a few high school hearts when they get there.
During its regular monthly meeting Tuesday, Newton City Council will revisit a request to ban parking along North Deal Avenue during school hours, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. In July, Newton Police Department asked leaders to prohibit parking along the street which is adjacent to Newton-Conover High School. The request came after complaints from NCHS officials, who said high school students were parking there and possibly engaging in sexual activity an deal drugs.
A judge has granted a change of trial venue for the woman accused of murdering and dismembering 10-year-old Zahra Baker.
During court proceedings Monday afternoon, Catawba County Superior Court Judge Timothy Kincaid granted a request to move Elisa Baker's murder trial out of the 25th Judicial District.
Elisa Baker faces second-degree murder charges in connection with the disappearance and death of 10-year-old Zahra Baker. A cancer survivor who moved with her father from Australia to the Hickory Metro, Zahra was first reported missing in October 2010.