Skip to main content

Archive - Jul 11, 2011 - News Article

Head-on collision

July 11, 2011

Two cars collided Monday at the intersection of Rock Barn Road and Thornburg Drive in Conover after a red Cadillac attempted to make a left turn and was struck by a gold Toyota, witnesses said.

No one was seriously injured in the collision, but the driver of the red Cadillac was taken to the hospital. Witnesses said the crash caused both vehicles to lift off the ground.

Victims robbed at gunpoint for cell phones

July 11, 2011

Police are investigating robbery cases in Hickory where suspects held multiple victims at gunpoint to steal cash and cell phones.

The robberies occurred Friday and Saturday and both involve suspects pointing guns at victims and demanding money and cellular phones.

Authorities say that two victims were robbed at gunpoint early Friday within minutes of each other. The robberies occurred on the 300 and 400 blocks of Seconnd Street Place SE in succession. The victims said the suspect was wearing black clothing and a “Scream” mask, adding that the robber wielded a black and silver gun.

Thieves steal beer, candy from Catawba store

July 11, 2011

Police are searching for multiple suspects who broke into a Catawba convenience store last week and took money, beer and candy from the store’s shelves.

Authorities and business owners said suspects broke the back glass door to Abby’s Restaurant and Convenience Store in Catawba early Thursday morning before unlawfully entering the building. Once the thieves were inside, they stole money from the cash register, two 40-ounce Natural Ice beers and a case of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Catawba gets new police chief

July 11, 2011

The town of Catawba’s newest police chief said he plans on upholding the town’s reputation as a “fairly quiet” place to live.

The Catawba Town Council officially swore in police chief Mike Nash on Monday to serve more than 750 citizens that live in the town.

Nash, a Chicago native, has served with Catawba Police Department since September 2004. In August 2010, Nash was briefly promoted to sergeant before becoming the interim police chief after former chief Cecil Cook left a month later.

Citizens remember ‘family restaurant’

July 11, 2011

Area citizens are remembering a “family restaurant” Monday that has served Conover residents for decades.

Drum’s Restaurant in Conover was destroyed by a fire early Saturday morning after an electrical surge protector initially sparked a blaze inside the historic city landmark, fire officials told Drum’s owner Douglas Travis.

The restaurant was built in 1972.

“It had a little, cozy, family atmosphere,” said Conover resident Joyce Rice, adding that she ate at Drum’s two or three times a week.

“Everything about the restaurant was good — it was amazing.”

Twenty years since the first-ever Brickyard 400, Conover native Dale Jarrett reflected this week on...
Through the trails of being an undrafted rookie, Brian Roberts hard work paid off on Wednesday. The...
Madi Story went out a winner Monday night during the North Carolina Coaches Association East-West...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes