Skip to main content

Archive - Jul 1, 2011 - News Article

Kids parade for Fourth

July 1, 2011

“Get ready.”
“Get set.”
“Go!”

With the green light to start, a healthy line of patriotic pre-schoolers and adolescents took to the large roundabout outside Patrick Beaver Memorial Library in Hickory ready to ride.

Hoisted up on bikes, tricycles, big wheels and strollers, the cluster of about 50 children produced a sea of red, white and blue that floated slowly down the narrow street connecting different portions of the SALT block off of N.C. 127.

Police step up checkpoints for Fourth

July 1, 2011

Area law enforcement will employ checkpoints and step-up patrols this weekend in preparation for the July 4 holiday Monday.

Local police chiefs said Friday that their departments will collaborate with others to help enforce Booze it & Lose it: Operation Firecracker, a campaign initiated by state officials to remove impaired drivers from the roads.

N.C. Department of Transportation Secretary Gene Conti announced earlier this week that local law enforcement officers from across the state will help with the campaign.

Local officials file for re-election

July 1, 2011

Several area officials registered to run for re-election Friday on the first day of filing for the 2011 Catawba County municipal elections.

Most of Maiden’s town officials due for re-election filed for candidacy Friday, including Mayor Robert Smyre, councilman David Boldon and councilman Max Bumgarner Jr.

Councilman Howard Ervin did not file, but non-incumbent Mike Moore did file for the councilman race.

Charges filed in strangulation case

July 1, 2011

Police arrested a Maiden man Friday that is accused of choking and strangling a 73-year-old Newton woman before stealing multiple firearms from her home. 


With help from the Maiden Police Department, Newton Police arrested and charged Austin Sinclair Anthony, 22, of Maiden, with attempted murder, kidnapping and larceny charges Friday after he and two other suspects choked and strangled an elderly woman Tuesday.

Shots fired into occupied home

July 1, 2011



Catawba County sheriff’s deputies have not identified the suspects who fired several shots into an occupied dwelling Thursday. 


Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid said suspects shot into a single-family dwelling at 4926 Swinging Bridge Road in Conover, but did not injure anyone inside the home. 


Reid said the incident doesn’t look like an accident, and there are no suspects at this time. 
The home was in a rural area.

In incidents like these, Reid said his officers canvas the neighborhood to see if anyone has seen anything suspicious. 


Thieves steal copper piping from construction site

July 1, 2011



Authorities are searching for suspects that stole copper pipe and electrical cords from a Hospice construction site in Sherrills Ford on Tuesday.


Unidentified suspects entered the construction site at 7473 Sherrills Ford Road by unknown means and took more than 300 feet of copper pipe used for air conditioning.

The copper pipe was valued at about $5,000, according to a Catawba County Sheriff’s Office report. 


“People steal copper wire and pipe and sell it by the pound,” said Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid. “It can be very valuable.”

Twenty years since the first-ever Brickyard 400, Conover native Dale Jarrett reflected this week on...
Through the trails of being an undrafted rookie, Brian Roberts hard work paid off on Wednesday. The...
Madi Story went out a winner Monday night during the North Carolina Coaches Association East-West...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes