Archive - Mar 14, 2011 - News Article
A Maiden family lost their home and several pets Saturday after a 9-year-old boy alerted his family to the blaze.
Maiden Fire Chief Danny Hipps said firefighters responded about 5:15 a.m. Saturday to a mobile home fire on the 6400 block of Startown Road.
The mobile home and a nearby vehicle were fully involved in fire when emergency responders arrived on the scene, but the home's residents and their five children were standing safely outside the building.
The Gergely family's home appeared, from the outside, to be a typical residence in the Deerfield development of Mountain View.
A garden sits at the front of the yard near a swing set, and children's sporting equipment is scattered throughout the property.
But inside the residence, George L. Gergely Jr., 42, stored six cans of gasoline and firearms after a reported suicide attempt the day before his house exploded.
A call for help
Gergely's wife, Michele, called 9-1-1 on Sunday about 1:05 p.m. to report her husband was having suicidal thoughts and threatening to harm himself.
A proposal to prohibit construction of new "quonset" huts in Newton not only missed the mark, if passed it can open the door to "quonset hut farms" in the city.
As a result, Newton City Council sent a zoning ordinance amendment concerning accessory structures back to city planners' drafting board.
It has been more than 35 years since Newton's train depot helped transport passengers from one location to another.
But new life continues to reinvigorate the building on North Main Avenue, including the addition of an outdoor train museum.
The Newton Depot Authority announced March 9 they will add an outdoor railroad museum to the historic Newton Depot. The railroad museum is designed to collect, restore and preserve railroad equipment that honors the railroad's history in western North Carolina.