Skip to main content

Archive - Dec 14, 2010 - News Article

Date
Type

Bandys builds for the future

December 14, 2010

Bandys Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jason Drum wants people to pass by every Bandys station in Catawba County and say, "That's a Bandy's Fire Department."

That dream will soon become a reality with the expansion, renovation and construction of two Bandys fire stations, unifying the department's structure and design and helping the department prepare for the future.

Former mayor recovers after being hit by car

December 14, 2010

A former Claremont mayor is recovering Tuesday after being struck by a car while walking across the street.

Glenn Morrison was walking across Depot Street near the intersection of Frazier Drive in Claremont to check his mailbox Monday evening when he was struck by an oncoming car, said Claremont Police Department Capt. Gary Bost.

Thrift-store thief steals bargains

December 14, 2010

An unknown suspect robbed a thrift store Tuesday in Newton, leaving the store's owner with one clue about his identity: a blue and silver bicycle.

Martha Navarrete, owner of Martha's Bargain Thrift Store on West 20th Street in Newton, noticed something was amiss in her store when she walked into the building Tuesday about 9:45 a.m.

"Everything was in disorder, so I said, 'Something's not normal,'" Navarrete said.

She examined the store more closely and discovered something was wrong: her store was broken into.

$2.7M grants gets manufacturer

December 14, 2010

Conover Station will welcome a new form of manufacturing to its site after $2.7 million in grants closed a deal that could potentially bring numerous jobs to Catawba County.

Manufacturing Solutions Center, currently located at Catawba Valley Community College’s East Campus, takes backyard ideas and creates a product to be sold across the world.

Soda machine causes fire

December 14, 2010

A Conover fast food restaurant was evacuated Tuesday after an electrical fire broke out.

An employee of Zaxby's restaurant on N.C. 16 called 9-1-1 shortly before 1 p.m. to report an electrical fire in the restaurant's fountain drink machine.

About 10 Conover firefighters responded to the scene and turned off power to the machine, causing the flames to die down, said Conover Fire Chief J. Mark Hinson.

In a game that could go a long ways in determining this year's NFC South champion, New Orleans...
Since a successful 2008 season, the Fred T. Foard football program has struggled. With three head...
Both riding losing streaks, the Newton-Conover football team travels to Claremont tonight to take...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes