September 1st, 2010
Newton-Conover won the third game of its match against Bandys by 15 points, and it rode that momentum to a key conference win. The Red Devils defeated the Trojans 3-1 on Tuesday at Newton-Conover.
â€śWe got the girls together, and we had good serving and defense,â€ť Newton-Conover coach Linda Richards said. â€śIt was just good team play.â€ť
Newton-Conover won the games 25-17, 21-25, 25-10 and 25-20 in a rematch of the 2009 Catawba Valley 2A conference tournament final. The leader of the Red Devilsâ€™ match-changing win in Game 3 was Isabella Zaliagiris.
Two area teenagers are in jail after an alleged weekend crime spree.
Christopher Grant Goins, 17, and Christian Aaron Chesko, 16, both of Hickory, are in Catawba County jail on charges of first-degree burglary, felony larceny and larceny after breaking and entering.
“They went on a crime spree,” said Catawba County Chief Deputy Coy Reid.
The teens, who are students at Fred. T. Foard High School in Newton, are charged in connection with thefts and vandalism at an area residence, a golf course, an airfield and more than 20 car break-ins, Reid said.
When medical or law enforcement officials respond to an emergency, communication is key, but officials’ ability to serve citizens can be threatened by language barriers.
Almost 10 percent of Catawba County residents speak a language other than English in their homes, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Conover Police Department has two Spanish-speaking officers to translate and assist on calls involving Latino citizens.
A jury awarded a Conover couple $1.5 million for personal injury from an allegedly faulty hernia repair patch.
Christopher Thorpe, 51, and his wife, Laure, successfully sued patch manufacturer Davol Inc. and its parent company C.R. Bard as a result of the companies’ negligent product design, which injured Thorpe after the product’s insertion.
Aubrey Dale Williams, 84, of Maiden, passed away Monday, Aug. 30, 2010, at Catawba Valley Living at Rockbarn in Claremont. The family will receive friends Thursday from 9:45-10:45 a.m. at Burke Mortuary in Newton prior to the service.
Terry Michael Killian, 57, of Claremont, died Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010, at WFU Baptist Medical Center in Winston Salem, following a courageous 18-month battle with Leukemia. The Killian family has entrusted the funeral arrangements to Willis-Reynolds Funeral Home and Crematory in Newton.
The Alexander Central Cougars defeated the Bunker Hill Bears 8-1 on Monday at Bunker Hill. The Bears dropped to 0-2-0 after the loss. Terry Aviles scored the lone goal for Bunker Hill in the first half on a shot from the right side of the field. Jeremy Whisnant scored two goals for Alex Central.
South Atlantic League
Hickory 6, Asheville 5
Elmer Lint has ridden Greenway Public Transportation for more than six years.
The service is critical for 85-year-old Lint’s well-being – from attending necessary medical appointments to getting his hair cut.
Brian Christopher Deal, 36, of Conover, died Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010, at Frye Regional Medical Center.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Drum Funeral Home and Cremation Services in Conover.
Ersel Ruth Arnold Campbell, 74, of Conover, passed away Friday, Aug. 27, 2010, at her son’s residence. A graveside service will be held at Garland Cemetery in Elizabethton, Tenn.
Burke Mortuary in Newton is serving the Campbell family.
Officials think a string of car-battery thefts at a college are related.
Three batteries were reported stolen Aug. 17 from cars parked in the Catawba Valley Community College parking lot.
Two similar car battery larcenies from CVCC’s parking lot were previously reported stolen Aug. 17.
“We do feel like it’s probably the same people, but we’re not sure where the batteries are being taken to,” said Catawba County Chief Deputy Coy Reid.
A fast food restaurant was closed Sunday after a fire in the building’s electrical panel caused about $20,000 in damage.
Hickory Fire Department responded at 1:53 p.m. to the McDonalds restaurant at 2511 N. Center St. after receiving reports of a fire in the restaurant’s basement, said Terri Byers of the Hickory Fire Department.
The building was evacuated before 13 Hickory firefighters arrived on the scene.