Skip to main content

Archive - Mar 12, 2012

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 12, 2012

John Wilson Howard, 62, of Newton, died March 11, 2012, at Carolinas Medical Center in Lincolnton.
Arrangements are incomplete at Willis-Reynolds Funeral Home in Newton.

James Wilbert Jenkins, 73, of Rolling Lane, Hickory, died Saturday, March 10, 2012 at his residence.  The Jenkins family has entrusted arrangements to Jenkins Funeral Home & Cremation Service in Newton.

Cafe serves massive challenge

March 12, 2012

It was high noon, and two confident food challengers were about to meet their doom in Catawba.

The lunch crowd at Cindy’s Starlite Café was flooding in, and all eyes were on the kitchen.

“I’m hungry,” The O-N-E’s Editor Matthew Tessnear said. “I’m feeling pretty hungry…honestly.”

Tessnear was poised and ready, but he would soon learn he would have to get a whole lot hungrier.

For he, along with The O-N-E Publisher Michael Willard, were about to test what has to be the most scrumptious, yet gruesome challenge in the foothills.

Building permits confirm Apple’s plans

March 12, 2012

Apple Inc. filed for more building permits last week that confirm the company is looking to add significant green technology to its data center in Maiden.

Apple released new information on its website in February that said it plans to power its data center completely from renewable energy. In a brief statement on its website, Apple announced that it plans to power the Maiden data center with the nation’s largest end-user-owned solar array and non-utility fuel cell installation.

Officials: Arson caused restaurant blaze

March 12, 2012

Fire officials say accelerants were used in a blaze that destroyed a Sherrills Ford restaurant more than nine months ago.

The Pier 150 seafood restaurant was completely destroyed June 18, 2011, after a large fire gutted the building.

It took five departments and about 85 firefighters to put out the blaze that was first reported around midnight.


At the time, fire officials were unsure if the blaze, which occurred only a half-mile from the nearest fire station, was caused by arson or some other cause.

BREAKING: UNC football banned in postseason, loses 15 scholarships

March 12, 2012

The NCAA infractions committee has hit North Carolina's football program with a one-year postseason ban, a reduction of 15 scholarships and three years of probation following an investigation into improper benefits and academic misconduct.

In a ruling Monday, the committee said the school was responsible for multiple violations, including academic fraud and a failure to monitor its football program. It also issued a three-year show-cause penalty for former assistant coach John Blake, who had received personal loans from an NFL agent.

Twenty years since the first-ever Brickyard 400, Conover native Dale Jarrett reflected this week on...
Through the trails of being an undrafted rookie, Brian Roberts hard work paid off on Wednesday. The...
Madi Story went out a winner Monday night during the North Carolina Coaches Association East-West...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes