Archive - Sep 13, 2010
Three men accused of first-degree rape and other charges had their cases continued in court last week.
Eddy Fernando Barrios-Ortiz, Milion Estuardo Barrios-Ortiz and Carlos Andreas Corenza Zeledon, all of Hickory, are charged with first-degree rape, robbery with a firearm, kidnapping and first-degree sexual assault stemming from an incident that occurred in January.
They were scheduled to appear in Catawba County Superior Criminal Court last week.
The Barrios-Ortiz brothersâ€™ cases were continued to Oct. 4, and Zeledonâ€™s case was continued to Dec. 6.
Good research is key in preventing scams from phony locksmiths.
Less than one month after a network of phony locksmiths were banned from practicing business in North Carolina, area officials are encouraging residents to be on the lookout for similar scams.
A group of unlicensed locksmith companies used bait-and switch-tactics to scam customers across the state, according to an Aug. 31 press release from North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooperâ€™s office.
An area elementary school participated Monday in a nationwide event honoring arts education in the classroom.
Students at Balls Creek Elementary School in Newton learned about different art forms, from gourd making to architecture, to kick off National Arts in Education week.
â€śI wanted to show students there is more to art than drawing and painting,â€ť said Alison Willard, Balls Creek Elementary art teacher, who organized the event.
Conover Police arrested six alleged gang members this weekend after shots were fired in an area mobile home park.
Christian Nava, 22, of Hickory; Edgar Antonio Hernandez, 23, of Conover; Samuel Antonio Hernandez, 18, of Conover; Arturo Hernandez Gabriel, 27, of Newton; Victor Efren Ramirez, 18, of Conover; and Juan Jesus Santalian, 19, of Hickory, were arrested on view and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana, carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm within city limits, said Conover Police Chief Steve Brewer.
Gary Wayne Laws, 62, of Conover, died Monday, Sept. 13, 2010, at Catawba Valley Medical Center in Hickory. The family will receive friends prior to the service from 10-11:45 a.m. at the church.
Helen Juanita Wilson Bostian, 92, of Claremont, died Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010, at Palliative CareCenter & Hospice of Catawba Valley. The Bostian family has entrusted funeral arrangements to Drum Funeral Home & Cremation Services in Conover.
As the Catawba County Board of Education works to hire a new superintendent, board members want input from interested members of the community.
On the Catawba County Schools website - www.catawbaschools.net – is the link to a survey. The board asks residents to take a moment to share their thoughts and opinions. This survey will help shape the search and decision-making processes for a new superintendent.
Lenoir-Rhyne University's Ryan Sanford has been selected as this week's Ronnie Lott Heavy Hitter Award winner.
Sanford, a redshirt freshman free safety, made a key hit on a pass break-up late in Saturdayâ€™s night game that prevented a touchdown and preserved Lenoir-Rhyneâ€™s 41-13 win over Davidson.
Sanford, who was credited with a tackle against the Wildcats and has three takedowns for the season, wins the award for the first time in his Bear career.
GoldToeMoretz will donate $1,000 in the names of each weekâ€™s winner of the Heavy Hitter Award to Habitat For Humanity of Catawba County.